Build a clay house with us?
Motherland Farmstay provides a real time experience building a natural building or mud house in general famous word. Joining us for a real experience learning how to build it with us. You will be amazed by itself, and it will keep you exciting for any sessions.
Why do we want to have a mud house?
Earthen House or mud house is definitely suiting and effecting human’s life and health. This type of building gives both inside and outside positively energy for human and environment. To live in a mud house it does positively effecting our feeling, body temperature, emotion,… in long term.
What is a natural building?
A natural building made from clay which came from medium sticky soil mixes with any kinds of fiber, and sand forms an adobe brick that we will use for construction. We use different natural mixtures such as rice husk, grass, water then transforms to adobe bricks that we only let them dry in the sun, no burning. We also use another technique by using bamboo woven and plaster them with clay. For all materials we find or adapt to use natural materials available in our area, without buying, or very less expenses if necessary.
Why do “We” build a natural building?
We realized that we all are absorbing pollution every time, everyday, almost every where in different ways. We all want to live longer with a good health condition, also concern about health problem that may cause some effects in the nearest future somehow. Moreover, we would like to live Eco-Friendly, and returning positively advantage to the environment as much as we could do. We think about living in a natural building is the best easy way that we, and everyone, can do for lifetime and it never harm nature. Same as building a mud house is easily to understand the concept then you can get started with your hands.
Are you ready to treat the planet earth?
We would like to develop our community via being a self-study center where we first started from our farm, on the concept of “Green & Clean Farm” which focusing on how to live naturally and sustainable. From now on, we need a lot of support from anyone who is open for a new world and ready to learn about Northern Thai culture and love giving back to the nature. Having a mud house in the farm is a simple sustain living while being a part of nature – the way life should be. We love to make life becomes simple and easy. Leave the stress and depress out there somewhere away, then come relaxing with us, and clearing up your mind by staying in peaceful place. We are welcoming everyone and we definitely can learn from each other.
What is included while staying?
A wooden Northern Thai house with 3 bedrooms: Mosquito’s nets, pillow, bed sheet and blanket; one bathroom included a hot shower, shared-living room and kitchen, balcony, hammock, and parking lot.
You will cook your own meals by learning from us to cook an easy basic food which are northern Thai food everyday. Everyone needs to help to prepare food, also clean up a kitchen and dishes. Read our agreements below.
Who can join us?
Everyone participates in the natural building project. Everybody -who is interested in an organic farm, natural buildings, also love to learn another culture way of life or “Sustain Living” in the north of Thailand- is welcome to join us all year round. If you would like to learn “Thai Farming Session” which including planting, maintaining, and cultivation; then recommended to contact us before June.
Because of we live in a small town which it completely quiet, meaning all stores are closed earlier, so make sure that you are willing to stay with us in a small village.
What you will receive?
Here, you will experienced how to live simple life and being closed to the nature. You will receive a ton of different experiences that definitely useful for adapting to your lifestyle such basic information of using herbs, simple cooking technique, self organic gardening, how to eat healthy in daily life, food saving techniques by natural, DIY ideas, etc. We are guaranteed that you will see your life clearer and better than before with peaceful mind and heart.
Why a natural building?
The main reasons for choosing an earthen house are its cheap and fairly easy to build; you can design it yourself with no need for a specialist; it’s also sustainable and climate friendly.
How many techniques?
1. Wattle and cob: This is a folk adaptation to a traditional wattle and daub technique. Wattle and daub uses clay plastered onto a woven wall (wattle), usually made from small sticks, woven reeds or bamboo and rice mills in Thailand. Wattle and cob uses a similar idea, instead of having a woven sheet as a wall to plaster on we make a spread out woven frame with small sticks or bamboo. To fill in this wall and make a stronger structural wall, we make small strips of wet cob and lay from those around and in the weave (6”x 6” hole).
This technique will not be a load bearing structure, so you can make a basic post and beam structure to support a roof. Connect all of the beams by using pieces of wood branches or bamboo.
2. Adobe technique: This technique is time tested, dating as far as over 1000 years. You can create an adobe house by using blocks made from clay rich mud mixed with fiber (straw; rice husk) that has been dried in the sun. These blocks are placed like bricks by using wet adobe mud as mortar.
Let’s join us to build your first house by your hands. You will know how much you will proud of yourself as a human being can do without destroying the nature!
Come to stay with us for relaxing your mind, your brain, no stress, no depress but fill them up with the nature that we are belong to. 🙂 Here, “Yoo Tid Din Kin Kub Suan” farm stay has a big playground for you to learn about how life should be.
October-May: Earthen Building, wooden house, bamboo hut, organic farm
June-September: Bamboo huts, organic farm, rice field, natural Building (some process)
You are welcome to stay with us at Motherland Farmstay.
First of all, we would like to let you know about rules as we brief on our profile which all fees are going to cover all bills while you are living with us and any damage.
As you know, all works always have problems both small and big and we found many problems while we opening the farm to outside visitors as well. Obviously, we would like to solve problems and keep everything nice and more organize in long term. Thus, we came up with rules. If not, nobody cares about our properties and we have to pay for all damages over and over again.
As we are not a hotel / resort / home stay that provided you many convenience things. We would like to make it clear in case something happens to our guests and also they make some damages to the farm and either themselves. Everybody needs to make an agreement when they are happy to stay at the farm for learning the culture.
The farm is welcomed for travelers/ guests who are really open to learn a real northern Thai culture. They need to respect the culture and Thai persons as much as necessary. And we believe that all of them have been read about Thai culture and how to interact and behave while living with us.
What is became your responsibility?
– 15 days advance of full payment through Paypal.
– Confirm how long you would stay before making a payment. It will come with a copy of your passport (signed name).
– We have completely different works which are totally different than whatever you ever done. So you can join us for one week then you can decide that you want to stay longer or not.
– We expect travelers (who said themselves are ready to learn) to receive some northern Thai culture and spread the words. Such language, farmer’s skill or how to cook northern food.
– We have no any kind of insurance for taking care of everyone at the farm. Any accident is not our responsibility. (We won’t let you do too risky work at the farm unless you would like to try).
– Clean up: room/toilets/trash/pillow case/bed sheet/mosquito net/dishes before you leave the farm.
*DO NOT! / NOT ALLOW TO…
– Throw tissue paper / sanitary in a toilet. In this case, you have to pay for fixing a toilet if there are damages. As we had the problem and not want to cost any volunteers’ money)
– Smoke in a bedroom/living room/house
– Walk in houses with shoes on (very strict for Thai culture)
– Soak dishes/plates (very strict for Thai culture)
BE KIND TO DO!
– Support the farm by turning off fans/lights/etc when you are not in your room
– Free bicycle (sharing with other volunteers)
– Motorbike for rent (advance notice)
– You may have a chance to have super local food and ceremony if you are lucky
– Bring your own towel, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. (Herbal soap for sell 30 B)
– It would be nice if volunteers study about Thai culture before staying with us
– Leave review on a guest book
Looking to hear from you very soon. Contact us for more details.
Submit your review