“Mud house is a natural house made by mud and must be built by hands; a natural building made from clay mixes with fiber and sand forms an adobe. We use different natural mixtures such rice husk, grass, water and wood to become a mud house. Any processing is a natural technique and unique knowledge of local Thai people.”
Why do we want to have a mud house?
Human is belong to the nature which means human can be survived in this environment better than anything else. Earthen House – mud house – is very good for human’s health and gives energy for both inside and outside of their bodies. The building has the positive energy and friendly with the environment any where in this planet. Its earth energy is very balancing tempers between human’s and climate’s. There are many good things of the building that you will find out when you join us!
What is a natural building?
A natural building is a building made from natural materials by compounding clay, water and natural fiber for making the “adobe” bricks used for construction. You can use rice straw, bamboo and grass to mix with the soil. This technique is ancient and time tested and can be seen throughout the World. You can adapt to using the natural materials available in your area, without buying anything. We., also, will built bamboo and wooden huts.
Why do we need to build a natural building as our house?
We are working in the city which has a lot more traffic in the last few years. We are bored to seeing that all day and surely it is pollution. So we would like to do some project that is very healthy and more relax in the nature as much as we can. And we have a land which is 4 hours drive from Chiang Mai called Phayao where the big lake named Kwan Phayao located.
As our family used to be a farmer and worked for over 30 years since our grandparent’s generation to our generation but we stopped to be a farmer after we were doing for 7 years then changed our way of life as a seller in another province.
We would like to be back to the earth by stay closed and not destroy the nature and eat healthy food.
Do you think the same way? Are you ready to go back to the Earth?
We would like to develop the world community via a self-study center, on how to live naturally. So, from now, we need a lot of support from anyone who is open for a new world and ready to learn about Northern Thai culture and all that it has to offer. Having a natural house in our farm is a sustainable life while being a part of nature – the way life should be. Life will become simple and easy. You have more time and can look at yourself very clearly while in a good environment. You have more opportunity to look at what you are doing and want to do with your life. Leave the stress and depression out there, come relax with us, and clear up your mind. We are welcoming everyone to stay; we can learn from each other.
A wooden Northern Thai house with 3 bedrooms: Mosquito’s nets, pillow, bed sheet and blanket; two bathrooms included a hot shower, living room and balcony (hanged hammock) and a northern Thai kitchen also a parking lot.
You will cook your own meals by learning from us to cook an easy basic food which are northern Thai food everyday. Everyone needs to help to prepare food, also clean up a kitchen and dishes. Read our agreements below.
Who can join us?
Everyone participates in the natural building project. Everybody (interns/volunteers/students) who is really interested in an organic farm and natural buildings, also open (love) to learn another culture or way of life in the north of Thailand. And would like to learn from the beginning of a Thai farming; digging soil, selecting seeds and all cultivation, etc.
Because of we live in a small town, a ll shops close earlier than the big city. So make sure that you would like and willing to stay with us in a small village. Our farm is very peaceful where closes to the mountains.
We will start with planting vegetables and build earthen houses together. You could try any activity at our farm as experiment. You can stay as long as you can and always welcome for the next visit as you would like to see how much progress in the future. We would be grateful for the opportunity to share anything we can that will help you to live a healthier and happier life.
What you will receive?
Here, we will teach and guide you how to live your life close to the nature or we named it “sustainable living”. You will receive many different kinds of experience that you can adapt to your life style such basic information of herbs, easy cooking technique, self organic gardening, make life more easier and use less money in daily life, food saving techniques by natural, DIY ideas, etc. We are guaranteed that you will see your life more than you usually do by living slower and see the real life. 🙂
Why a natural building?
The main reasons for choosing an earthen house are its cheap and fairly easy to build; you can design it yourself with no need for a specialist; it’s also sustainable and climate friendly.
How many techniques?
1. Wattle and cob: This is a folk adaptation to a traditional wattle and daub technique. Wattle and daub uses clay plastered onto a woven wall (wattle), usually made from small sticks, woven reeds or bamboo and rice mills in Thailand. Wattle and cob uses a similar idea, instead of having a woven sheet as a wall to plaster on we make a spread out woven frame with small sticks or bamboo. To fill in this wall and make a stronger structural wall, we make small strips of wet cob and lay from those around and in the weave (6”x 6” hole).
This technique will not be a load bearing structure, so you can make a basic post and beam structure to support a roof. Connect all of the beams by using pieces of wood branches or bamboo.
2. Adobe technique: This technique is time tested, dating as far as over 1000 years. You can create an adobe house by using blocks made from clay rich mud mixed with fiber (straw; rice husk) that has been dried in the sun. These blocks are placed like bricks by using wet adobe mud as mortar.
Let’s join us to build your first house by your hands. You will know how much you will proud of yourself as a human being can do without destroying the nature!
Come to stay with us for relaxing your mind, your brain, no stress, no depress but fill them up with the nature that we are belong to. 🙂 Here, “Yoo Tid Din Kin Kub Suan” farm stay has a big playground for you to learn about how life should be.
October-May: Earthen Building, wooden house, bamboo hut, organic farm
June-September: Bamboo huts, organic farm, rice field, natural Building (some process)
You are welcome to stay with us at Motherland Farmstay.
First of all, we would like to let you know about rules as we brief on our profile which all fees are going to cover all bills while you are living with us and any damage.
As you know, all works always have problems both small and big and we found many problems while we opening the farm to outside visitors as well. Obviously, we would like to solve problems and keep everything nice and more organize in long term. Thus, we came up with rules. If not, nobody cares about our properties and we have to pay for all damages over and over again.
As we are not a hotel / resort / home stay that provided you many convenience things. We would like to make it clear in case something happens to our guests and also they make some damages to the farm and either themselves. Everybody needs to make an agreement when they are happy to stay at the farm for learning the culture.
The farm is welcomed for travelers/ guests who are really open to learn a real northern Thai culture. They need to respect the culture and Thai persons as much as necessary. And we believe that all of them have been read about Thai culture and how to interact and behave while living with us.
What is became your responsibility?
– 15 days advance of full payment through Paypal.
– Confirm how long you would stay before making a payment. It will come with a copy of your passport (signed name).
– We have completely different works which are totally different than whatever you ever done. So you can join us for one week then you can decide that you want to stay longer or not.
– We expect travelers (who said themselves are ready to learn) to receive some northern Thai culture and spread the words. Such language, farmer’s skill or how to cook northern food.
– We have no any kind of insurance for taking care of everyone at the farm. Any accident is not our responsibility. (We won’t let you do too risky work at the farm unless you would like to try).
– Clean up: room/toilets/trash/pillow case/bed sheet/mosquito net/dishes before you leave the farm.
*DO NOT! / NOT ALLOW TO…
– Throw tissue paper / sanitary in a toilet. In this case, you have to pay for fixing a toilet if there are damages. As we had the problem and not want to cost any volunteers’ money)
– Smoke in a bedroom/living room/house
– Walk in houses with shoes on (very strict for Thai culture)
– Soak dishes/plates (very strict for Thai culture)
BE KIND TO DO!
– Support the farm by turning off fans/lights/etc when you are not in your room
– Free bicycle (sharing with other volunteers)
– Motorbike for rent (advance notice)
– You may have a chance to have super local food and ceremony if you are lucky
– Bring your own towel, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. (Herbal soap for sell 30 B)
– It would be nice if volunteers study about Thai culture before staying with us
– Leave review on a guest book
Looking to hear from you very soon. Contact us for more details.
Our Available Experiences:
Find all details below. Let’s join us for supporting our farm and for benefit our community in the future. We would like to be a center of knowledge of our community and spread our culture about sustainable living.
Other Programs are available at the farm:
However, we provide different experiences at Motherland Farmstay which is suitable for a person or group who is looking for a root of northern Thailand by being in a local community. We provide 4 courses which will be one week course included transfer between the farm and a bus station in town, accommodation, food, and instructor as below.
One Week Program: 15,000 B/person are available as below:
Course A: Root of Thailand (7 Days Rice Farming Course) July-Aug
Course B: Root of Thailand (7 Days Rice Planting) Aug-Sep
Course C: Root of Thailand (7 Days Rice Harvesting) Sep-Oct
Course D: Root of Thailand (7 Days Mud Building) All year round
Course E: Root of Thailand (7 Days Working with Bamboo & Planting) All year round
Course F: Root of Thailand (7 Days Cooking & Making Thatch Roof) All year round
Two Weeks Program 29,000 B/person
Remark: every program is required minimum 6 people at a time.