Welcome to MOTHERLAND FARMSTAY – Local Thai Farm in Phayao, Thailand.
Learning…..Sharing……Preserving Northern Thai Culture together
We, a local Thai family, who likes to live close to the nature and likes to do an organic farm at our Motherland Farmstay Thailand which is our root and an over 30 years farmer experience. The goal with the farm is to further cultivate a sustainable, village-like, environment that essentially functions sustainably and in accord with local Thai lifestyle traditions and customs. Currently, this organic farm is being run by a local Thai family, on their farmland. The farm and has been receiving international tourists/”volunteers” for years. Those who come there are participating in developing the farm and sometimes with community, and tradition. This type of tourism includes mud house building (using different techniques), wooden building, organic farming (vegetables & rice), local-style cooking, language learning, local village culture immersion, as well as learning from this family about traditional northern Thai culture and related customs that are being rapidly dissolved by the industrial modernization of the country. Visitors sleep in a traditional Thai wooden house, one that has been sitting on that farm for several generations. The root goal of this project is culture preservation. And the farm is very unique, and is likewise grassroots in all of its components. It does; however, need a boost of (mindful) support. This farm is being run administratively by a Thai woman (the visionary) and is currently being operated daily by her father, a Thai farmer – who is an encyclopedia of knowledge that must be preserved through study and documentation, before it is too late. He is the last generation here who harnesses this knowledge. If this is of interest to you, let’s talk more.
A father will be at the farm to share many experiences; most are sustainable life style; to you as a main person. He grew up in a farmer family and lived in a small wooden house, wooden tiles roof and grass roof in his mother’s land which is surrounded by rice paddy and fruit trees. His parent used a water buffalo worked in the farm that he had seen and helped them, etc. We would like to start it again with an organic farm included rice field, build natural buildings and bamboo/wooden huts in our land while; now; sharing with our volunteers. We are happy to share valuable experiences to people who are open to learn a new culture, especially a northern Thai life style. We will have a seasoning year round activity. Such as you will learn northern way of life about collecting food from a rice paddy and make an irrigation ditch, in summer, you will weave bamboo baskets and chicken cage, plant garlic, soil bean, collecting teak leafs for making a tile roof, etc. You will receive a great opportunity to learn the Northern Thai Culture and also support us to keep the culture is spreading more while you are learning from a real northern person. We plant many kinds of vegetables, fruits also other kinds of tree and plant, and also feeding chicken. We are extremely welcomed people who are really interested to learn about Thai farmer’s root such as how to do a farm from the beginning til harvesting. Here is a big opportunity for you who are alert and excited to learn other cultures from our root as a real experience called “Slower Sustainable Living Style”.
What we do at Motherland Farmstay.
We do a rice farm for living and sharing with people who never learnt and seen how to do a rice farm from the beginning to the end in any process. We offer a great opportunity for everyone to work on a rice paddy with all kinds of activity such preparing and plowing soil, planting rice seeds, taking young rice in a mud field and prepare for planting, how to keep the water in and off the rice paddy and harvesting, and prepare bamboo strings for harvesting season.
Then we are going to use the rice straw for building an earthen house which is used many kinds of natural materials in the community. Mainly reason is we would like to spread the way of life and preserve our culture to educate villagers in our community and other to live close to the nature , not destroy forest and not selling their lands for business man and turn the community to be concrete jungle. As we are going to setup a Thai wooden house construction class in the future. So we offer this to you all firstly and build all together.
For herbal products, we will make a dried seasoning food such as dried mango, dried lemongrass, making tea, etc. You will learn about how to plant herbs that you use for cooking, how to take care, how to pick or collect or cut and when is the right time to & how to cut , etc. Many kinds of herb that we use for cooking, drinking and healing you health you will learn how to keep food and make a herbal juice. You will see and learn a lot about northern culture.
How to get here?
Firstly we suggest you to take a bus from Bangkok (in case that you landed in BKK) direct to our town; Chun. This trip you could do a Chiang Mai Trip after staying at the farm by taking a local bus from our town direct to Chiang Mai to save your traveling time.
Secondly; you can take a daily plane to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai Airport in the morning as the best time to catch a bus to our farm.
From Chiang Rai: By plane and bus
You can get a taxi from the airport to the bus station in the city and tell a driver that you want to go to Chun District which is in Phayao. Then you take a small blue bus said “ป่าแดด-จุน” at the bus station near the Night Bazaar which it takes at least two hours from Chiang Rai with a beautiful view of agriculture province. The price might be 35-45 THB. Then call us to pick you up at the bus station in our town.
From Chiang Rai – Chun 10.30 AM / 2 PM / 4 PM
From Chun – Chiang Rai 5.30 AM / 7.30 AM / 12.30 PM
From Chiang Mai: By plane and bus:
You can get a taxi from the airport or “Song Taew” – red taxi – to the bus station and the price should be around 120 THB maximum. Then go get a ticket of the GREEN BUS to CHUN or you can show this word “จุน” to the ticket staff. It costs 154 THB and it will take 4 hours to get to our town. Don’t forget to tell the bus staff to tell you when they arrived. Then give us a call for picking up. We can send you a photo of the bus later.
CHIANG MAI to CHUN
2nd class: 9.30 am / 1.15 pm / 2 pm /3 pm /
1st class: 10.30 am
CHUN to CHIANG MAI
2nd class: 7.20 am / 7.40 am / 9.50 am / 10.20 am
1st class: 12.40 pm
Our town is close to Chaing Khong for visa run. It takes 1 hour by green bus at 11.45 am / 5.30 pm. Then you take a taxi for 30-40 B to Huay Xai in Laos by boat. You also can go to Kun-Ming in China by bus.
Types of help?
Help in the farm in any kind of work
Rice Farming (Soil preparing, Rice planting, Rice harvesting)
Mud and Bamboo Hut Building
What are we doing here?
– feed chicken (we have a cock fighting)
– clean up and mold grass around the farm land
– plant trees, vegetables, fruits, flowers, rice, corns and herbs
– prepare soil for planting rice and other vegetables
– cook your own meals and clean up the kitchen also dishes
– shopping some kind of food from a local market
– general maintaining
– be a part of a community in any ceremony or tradition
– build a mud house / teak house / bamboo hut / chicken house
– make thatch roof from teak leafs
– make an irrigation ditch for the farm and rice field
– make some furniture for the farm
– make herbal products
– make dry fruits
– make Thai dessert by using Thai tools for making a coconut cream
– cook sticky rice and other steamed food
– work with banana leaf as food containers, etc.
What you have to pay for……..
1. Low budget fee for One Week Minimum Stay including breakfast & lunch, accommodation, transfer between the farm and bus station in our town, and free bicycle.
2. Your own laundry: we provide a washing machine that you have to pay for 40 B/each time which including one laundry powder, softener.
3. Your bedroom stuff such pillow case, bed sheet, blanket and mosquito net have to be washed before your leaving. So you can bring them all to our place and pay for laundry 100 B/all 4 pieces then we will take care for you. You have to clean up a bathroom, trash and sweep house for us before your leaving.
4. Cleaning Fee: if you don’t want to do the cleaning of bathroom, bedroom and living space at the volunteer’s house please let us know. Then we could find somebody to clean it for 220 B/person. It’s not only just cleaning but make a new bed for next person who is coming as well.
5. Extra Lesson that you are interested to learn more for individual experience when you have a free time such Thai Kite Making Workshop, Weaving Bamboo Basket, Grifting Tree Branch Workshop, Water Holder From Coconut Skull Workshop, Dry Sticky Rice With Sugarcane Workshop, Coconut Foot Massage Skull, Kite Making Workshop, and Herbal Massage Compress Ball. You are welcomed to ask for THE EXTRA LESSON by supporting a small 400 B/person/3 hours workshop for the owner that he can prepare equipment as well as supporting his time. 🙂
What else …
There is a blog of our guests ‘s review. Click here.